My name is Eduardo. I'm a software developer / engineer / analyst / programmer / whatever. I do stuff with computers and proudly consider myself a master of none. I fell in love with them from the moment I saw "Tron" and "War Games" when I was a kid. My first computer was a ZX Spectrum +2B (a couple of friends still make fun of me because I never had an Atari...).
I started out as a researcher at the NLX-Group, affiliated to the Department of Informatics of the University of Lisbon, Faculty of Sciences. The group pursues research and development activities in the fields of artificial intelligence and cognitive science, with a particular focus on natural language and speech interaction. During my time with the group, I developed a named entity recognizer for the Portuguese language which covered entities based on numbers (arabic, roman, fraction and magnitude numerals, measures, time expressions, etc.) and names (people, organizations, locations, etc.).
Cue the enterprise world. So far, I've done (almost) a bit of everything by working at companies that span several areas of expertise (billing, commerce, data analytics, insurance, internet search, networks, pharmaceutics, telecommunications, and web):
- Nokia Siemens Networks
- PT SI
- Sci-Buy Limited
- VICTORIA Seguros
- Warwick Analytics
I'm currently looking for a new project.
I've also worked with several other technologies along the way (VBScript, ASP, Microsoft Internet Information Services v5.0 and v6.0, Microsoft SQL Server 2000 and 2005, Microsoft Access 2003 and 2007, SAP HTMLB, BSP, ABAP).
On my spare time, I focus on small projects that cover a wide range of interests and topics, including:
- anarky: Set of simple programs for encoding and decoding between several types of audio files
- byth: Small message broker that uses the stomp.py library to interact with ActiveMQ
- tic-tac-toe: Simple implementation of the good old Tic-tac-toe game
- data-structures: Collection of data structures implemented in Python
- sorting-algorithms: Collection of sorting algorithms implemented in Python
You can find these projects on my GitHub account.
Some of the projects at the top of the queue that could be picked up soon are:
- Implement solvers for the Sudoku and Tower of Hanoi mathematical games
- Pick up the work I did at the NLX-Group and release an open source (and thoroughly updated) named entity recognizer
- Play around with the possibility of developing a regular expression engine
- Explore the application of deep learning techniques to sports trading
These are some of the topics that interest me:
- Artificial intelligence
- Natural language processing
- Programming languages and techniques
I tend to keep my brain busy with:
- Cinema (more like an obsession... I wouldn't hesitate to call myself a movie snob)
- Comic books
I also enjoy exploring new languages. I'm currently learning German (at my own pace), and brushing up on my French and Spanish. Others will follow suit very soon (most likely Swiss German and Norwegian).
- E. Ferreira, J. Balsa and A. Branco, 2007, Combining Rule-based and Statistical Methods for Named Entity Recognition in Portuguese, TIL2007 - VWorkshop em tecnologia da Informação e da Linguagem Humana, Anais do XXVII Congresso da Sociedade Brasileira de Computação, pp.1615-1624
- F. Barreto, A. Branco, E. Ferreira, A. Mendes, M. F. Nascimento, F. Nunes e J. Silva, 2006, Open Resources and Tools for the Shallow Processing of Portuguese: The TagShare Project, Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation (LREC2006)
- F. Barreto, A. Branco, E. Ferreira, A. Mendes, M. F. Nascimento, F. Nunes, J. Silva, 2006, Linguistic Resources and Software for Shallow Processing, In Actas do XXI Encontro Anual da Associação Portuguesa de Linguística Lisboa
You can start by taking a look at my LinkedIn profile. If that caught your attention, please get in touch for further details.
Get in touch!
If you're interested, feel free to send me an e-mail at mulberry[dot]beacon[at]gmail[dot]com for just about any reason. I'm available for occasional consulting, so if you think I'd be able to help you out in any way, just ping me.